Can an average student crack the NEET within one year?
NEET is a highly competitive exam which demands a sound
and focused preparation coupled with determination and optimism.
Review Previous Papers and Identify Important Topics
Prior to commencing my preparation, I reviewed the previous year
papers and figured out the important topics with their weight age perspective.
Collect Good Quality Reference Material
Next, I began to gather the reference material. I referred to the NCERT and the standard textbooks for studying the concepts and bought some good books for objective questions. In addition, I also referred to online study material and video lectures.
Plan and Devise a Study Schedule
Next, I prepared a weekly study schedule each week. I distributed the time among the three subjects and assigned chapters to each week from all the 3 subjects.
I started off with the high yielding topics from all the subjects and moved onto the less important ones in the later stages. I made it a point to complete the topics as per the schedule.
Get Your Concepts Clear
Physics and Chemistry are conceptual and Biology is relatively fact-based. I made it a point to clear my concepts thoroughly in each
topic and also practiced MCQs side by side to learn the application of concepts.
After finishing the theoretical part of each topic, I made it a point to practice MCQs for different books. This exposed me to a variety of questions and also helped me learn the application of concepts.
Take Mock Tests
I devoted the last 3 months to taking mock tests. This greatly helped me enhance my speed and accuracy and also helped me evaluate my preparation level at different stages. After taking the mock test, I checked my performance and worked on my weak areas.
Attempting both full-length and speed tests helped me substantially improve my performance in the exam.
I revised all the concepts, formulas and shortcuts at regular intervals. Frequent revision greatly helped me in information retention.
Tips for an Average Student to Crack NEET
Here are the preparation tips for an average student to crack NEET.
- You should never consider yourself average as it will only lower down the will to achieve the goal.
- Make a time table for NEET. Set targets. Achieve them. Learn from mistakes. This is the best strategy.
- Strengthen your concepts to gain confidence. Start by solving problems that are not very deep. Focus on speed and accuracy.
- Do a lot of practice. Make problem solving a habit. With time you’ll be able to find the solution quicker, in less steps.
- Have a right mindset. Believe in yourself. Your competition is not with other aspirants. Work on improving your skills.
- [Be smart in your preparation]
Learn time management skills. Solve mock tests. Make a notebook of mistakes and revise from it before each test.
- Have good and empathetic teachers who appreciate the effort and perseverance, not just results in tests.
- Make class notes and review them each day after the class. If you have any questions or doubts, ask your teacher in the next class.
- Do all the homework and assignments on time. Ask for help if you need it.
- Don’t cram stuff which needs to be understood, especially Physics concepts.
Be a well prepared student instead of an average or intelligent
Being intelligent is one thing and knowing what you need to achieve something is different. The difference is how you do it. Well prepared students know what strategy to follow in solving problems, which shortcut methods to implement, how much time they need to allocate to each section and questions. This comes with lots of practice.