How do I prepare for the IIT-JEE organic chemistry? I am so confused with which mechanisms should I remember or which reactions I should blindly mug up (without mechanism)?

How do I prepare for the IIT-JEE organic chemistry? I am so confused with which
mechanisms should I remember or which reactions I should blindly mug up (without
mechanism)?

20 Likes

Organic chemistry is one of the interesting topics in chemistry. You need to consult with IIT JEE mentors, they will help you properly. Without their help it will be a little difficult to prepare things for the examination. If possible you can take suggestions from JEE toppers on call it will help you a lot by that you will know which topics you need to prepare most. That is totally a bad idea to mug up the reactions blindly, if you do this then you will face many difficulties in JEE examination. Try to understand the topics deeply, and then you write the reactions in a notebook after that evaluate yourself and try to remember the process how it is done , so that it will be helpful. You can take help from iitian mentors who will guide you on how to do the reactions easily. You can also solve the previous year’s question by that you get an idea about the questions. After finishing all the basics and conceptual things of NCERT you can go for other reference books and try to practice more.

You can check this link to get help our expert’s :

How do I prepare for the IIT-JEE organic chemistry? I am so confused with which mechanisms should

I remember or which reactions I should blindly mug up (without mechanism)? - Quora

14 Likes

organic

When preparing for the IIT-JEE organic chemistry exam, it is important to strike a balance between memorizing reactions and understanding their mechanisms. While memorizing reactions can be helpful, it is essential to understand the underlying mechanisms in order to apply your knowledge to new problems and perform well on the exam. Here are some tips to help you balance memorization and understanding:

1. Start with the basics: Make sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts, such as molecular structure, nomenclature, and functional groups, before diving into more complex topics.
  2. Focus on important reactions: Some reactions are more important than others and are more likely to appear on the exam. Make sure you have a thorough understanding of the reactions that are commonly tested, including mechanisms, stereochemistry, and reaction conditions.
  3. Study the mechanisms: Take the time to study the mechanisms of the reactions you need to memorize. This will help you understand the underlying concepts and increase your ability to apply your knowledge to new problems.
  4. Use visual aids: Draw out the structures and mechanisms of the reactions, and use color coding to help you understand and remember the material. You can also create flashcards to help with memorization.
  5. Practice, practice, practice: Regular practice is key to learning and retaining the concepts in organic chemistry. Work through practice problems, review the solutions, and seek out additional resources to help reinforce your understanding.
  6. Seek help when needed: If you are struggling with a particular concept or reaction, don’t hesitate to ask your teacher or tutor for help. They can provide guidance and support to help you improve your understanding of the material.
  7. Review and revise: Regularly review the material you have learned, including both the reactions and the mechanisms. This will help you retain the information and increase your confidence in the subject.

By following these tips and dedicating time and effort to your studies, you can strike a balance between memorizing reactions and understanding their mechanisms, and increase your chances of success on the IIT-JEE organic chemistry exam.
for more such guidance join exprto.

Make good class notes. This is very important. Organic is best taught by a teacher. Remember all kinds of effects, their exceptions, their preference orders, etc. Making short notes turns out very useful later on.

1. Basics of Organic Chemistry

This itself is a big topic. It involves topics like Nomenclature, Isomerism(stereo and structural), Electronic Effects, Acidic and Basic strengths, bonding in Organic compounds, basics of Organic reaction mechanisms, Practical Organic Chemistry. Now these are some really important topic and every coaching class has a different way to approach them. We were taught these concepts as and when they were required. You should follow whatever approach you are being taught. If you attend a proper coaching, then concentrate on their teaching and sheets. If not, then there are plenty of books out there, to help you, keep reading.

1. Reaction part

This is the essence of Organic Chemistry. 90% of questions asked in Organic chemistry are from reactions. This includes Hydrocarbons, Aromatic compounds, Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers, reactions of acids, Grignard Reagent, Oxidation/Reduction, etc. The list is very long. There are a lot many reactions in this section. But panic not. These are taught in a very structured way in Coachings/Books. Follow their way, and be regular. Remember stuff up as soon as they are taught. Maintaining a reaction+mechanism+exception diary helps. Revise it everytime before you sit to study Organic Chemistry. Constant revision is the key here. Understand the mechanisms really well. A lot of questions are asked in JEE(Advanced) based on mechanism.

They would change the reaction a bit and they will ask you the product. You can solve it only if you have an understanding of the mechanism.So, the main thing is- keep all the reaction, reagents, and exceptions on your tips, and have a good understanding of mechanisms. Practice them by writing them down till you remember them. Solve a huge number of problems as they will help you remember the facts.

Also, a good understanding of Basics of Organic Chemistry is also important, otherwise you won’t be able to move ahead. So strengthen that first.Self study people can pick up a good book(keep reading) and start from there. Try to obtain a good coaching material to practice from. Youtube tutorials can help you understand mechanisms.

1. Biomolecules and miscellaneous part

This is relatively easy. It is important, as at least 1-2 questions are asked from the chapter ‘Chemistry in everyday life’. Just mug up this chapter from NCERT. This is it. It will cover Boards, JEE(Main), and JEE(Advanced) all at one go. Then comes biomolecules. This is an interesting chapter, and JEE has asked some really tough questions from this chapter. Remember all Amino acid structures, if you can, as there was a question in JEE 2014 based on this. There are lots of concepts and structures, specially in Carbohydrates and Proteins, be familiar with them.

Join Exprto for more answers

Best Study Tips to Improve in Organic Chemistry for JEE

Best study tips to improve in Organic Chemistry for JEE :

1. Read from [NCERT textbook]
  2. Try to understand mechanisms of the reactions (not all, only important ones). This helps in memorizing similar types of reactions in one go.
  3. Don’t cram all the reactions and concepts. Look up past year JEE papers and observe the trends. There must be some reactions in your books that are never taught/asked. They can be left and ignored.
  4. Draw flowchart of reactions on sheets of papers. Those sheets should be looked upon regularly so that the chart gets memorized easily.
  5. Keep thinking of reactions and mechanisms in your free time.
  6. Remove any kind of fear for Organic Chemistry from your mind. Useless fear hampers your ability to understand and enjoy the topics.