How do I prepare for inorganic chemistry for the JEE Advanced

How do I prepare for inorganic chemistry for the JEE Advanced

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY is one such part of chemistry which checks your logical skills. Just mugging up reactions will not land you anywhere. In my opinion organic chemistry is heart and soul of JEE chemistry. you cannot master it overnight ,it requires constant efforts.

In this answer I am going to share my strategy ,Which I have followed in my JEE days.

TOPICS TO BE COVERED:

1. GENERAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY(GOC)
  2. ISOMERISM
  3. HYDROCARBONS(ALKANES,ALKENES,ALKYNES,BENZENE)
  4. ALKYL HALIDES
  5. ALCOHOLS, PHENOLS,ETHERS
  6. CARBONYL COMPOUNDS
  7. AMINES
  8. BIO-MOLECULES
  9. POLYMERS
  10. PRACTICAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY

(IN THE FURTHER PROCEEDINGS TOPIC NUMBER MEAN SERIAL NUMBER MENTIONED ABOVE).

Remember that GOC and ISOMERISM are very much important ,with out which literally you cannot proceed further in organic

If you master those two believe me half of your work is done , then everything is just like building different rooms on a already constructed floor.

NCERT is surely not sufficient for first 3 topics . you should follow institutes class work very strictly and give one reading in NCERT.

BUT FROM TOPIC NUMBER 4 YOUR STRATEGY SHOULD BE DIFFERENT.

You should follow NCERT very strictly. Read the every line written in NCERT analyze it, Yourself try to frame a question from each line of NCERT. after finishing one reading now write down each and every reaction written in NCERT with their names. then learn reaction mechanism of each and every reaction .

In mechanism of every reaction you must pay huge attention on

• why the reaction is proceeding ?
  • what intermediates are formed ?
  • what is rate determining step?
  • why only that particular reagents are used?
  • what are the other reagents which can be used to perform the same reaction ( if any)?

Only reading theory will not improve your skills. After reading theory practice as many questions as you can . while practicing very common mistake done by many aspirants is they will switch books and will not complete any book perfectly . THIS IS A HUGE MISTAKE AND YOU WILL PAY THE PRICE AT THE END.

from my end for practicing questions I will suggest ADVANCED PROBLEMS IN ORGANIC CHEMISTRY written by MS .CHAUHAN sir in SRI BALAJI PUBLICATIONS. while solving this book, you may face difficulty . but do not loose hope, those problems are very good. it is really tough to solve those questions correctly in first attempt. it will help you in how to apply already learned concepts in solving questions.

while solving questions Develop your own logics, such as which point to concentrate while reading question, what to analyze, how to know which concept to be applied to solve the given question.

After finishing any one reference book go to previous year JEE questions , and solve every question including descriptive while solving those questions feel it as your Original JEE advanced exam, check whether the logics you developed are working or not. Observe the kind of questions they are asking, observe where they are concentrating more. after finishing work on your errors , there will be some ambiguous questions discuss your views on that with your faculty.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT ILLOGICAL AND WIERD EXPCEPTIONS WILL NOT BE ASKED IN JEE ADVANCED EXAM. DON’T RUN TO REMEMBER EXCEPTIONS THOSE WILL FETCH YOUR MARKS IN INTERNAL EXAMS BUT NOT IN THE ORIGINAL ONE.

1 Like
  • Understanding Periodic Table

Periodic Table is the base of Inorganic Chemistry. One should devise interesting and fruitful ways to study the position and properties of the elements. Creating a flow chart or a concept map to know the trends in properties is the best way to understand this topic. This will make Periodic Table interesting and fit in your mind.

Bear in mind, once you’ll get thorough the understanding of Periodic Table, studying the behaviour of elements in groups and periods will become simple.

• Studying Metallurgy

This is another important topic from Inorganic Chemistry. Aspirants must devise the best approach to study and understand this topic. First of all, try to understand all metallurgical operations and their applications. And once this is done, study for the individual elements.

Bear in mind, don’t memorize or mug up this topic else you won’t understand anything. You should create a flow chart and follow it properly for better understanding of this chapter.

• Learn Chemical reactions

This is one of the scoring topics and the best way to learn this topic is to understand the context in which these reactions are written. You should try to make a practice of translating a word equation into chemical equations in terms of chemical formulas. Also, always balance your reactions and write and practice the formula – it is one of the best tips for understanding and memorizing formulas.

• Read Coordination Compounds

This is a relatively analytical and interesting topic. It needs apt problem solving practice. This topic comprises of scoring sub-topic like Isomerism. The best way to get in-depth understanding of this topic is through practice.

• Understand Analytical Chemistry

This is the final and relatively simple topic of Inorganic Chemistry. Majority of this topic is done in lab which gives practical knowledge to students. Therefore, it can be learnt easily.